Call for Commissioned Art
Submit a proposal for the commission of your original artwork. The artwork will serve as the award for recipients of the 2008 Rockford Area Arts Council's Mayor's Arts Awards. And just about anything goes. Whether your medium is sculpture, painting, mixed media or something entirely different, the artwork will be a keepsake each winner receives for the arts award.
1) $1000 commission for two (2) works of art for Individual Artist and Individual Arts Advocates award recipients.
2) $500 commission for four (4) works of art for Business Arts Advocate, Exceptional Student of the Arts, Star Teacher, and Creative Cultural Event award recipients.
Proposal are due to the RAAC no later than March 24, 2008.
Click here for a submission form
Nominations are Open
Nominations have opened for the 2008 Mayor's Arts Awards to be held on June 5th. Nominees will be evaluated on the basis of the breath and depth of their work and its impact on the Rockford area. The selection committee includes artists, past awards recipients, and community advocates.
1. Individual Artist Award: Honors an artist whose achievements and commitment to the arts have generated a significant and positive impact on the community over a period of time.
2. Individual Arts Advocate Award: Honors an individual whose efforts in advocacy, support, and/or volunteerism in the arts have generated a significant positive impact on the community over a period of time.
3. Community Impact by a Business Award: Honors a business which recognizes the importance of the arts through financial or in-kind support, use of the arts in the workplace, and/or encouragement of employees to volunteer for the arts or otherwise serves as an advocate for the arts.
4. Exceptional Student of the Arts Award: Honors a high school-aged student's artistic talent and community involvement in the arts during the student's high school years.
5. Star Teacher Award: Honors a teacher, instructor, or arts specialist whose creative use of the arts enriches the learning experience of students.
6. Creative Cultural Event Award: Recognizes an exhibit, performance, benefit, festival, series, or special event during the 2006-07 season which brought heightened visibility to the arts. The nominated event must have occurred some time between the date of the previous year's Mayor's Arts Awards nomination deadline through this year's nomination deadline (April 30, 2006 through April 16, 2007).
How to cast a nomination
The Rockford Area Arts Council office must receive your nomination on or before April 14, 2008 There is no limit to the number of nominations that may be submitted. You may photocopy the nomination form. Again, anyone may submit a nomination and may cast nominations in more than one category. Preference will be given to those who have not received a Mayor's Arts Award in the past.
A complete nomination packet consists of:
" Completed Nomination Form
" Nomination Letter describing your nominee's contributions to the arts in the Rockford metropolitan area and describing what makes the nominee deserving of a Mayor's Arts Award. Five criteria (see listing below) will be used for evaluation, though not all criteria apply to every award category.
" Optional Materials may include photographs and additional letters of support.
1. Artistic Merit: Describe the artistic medium of the nominee. Describe the quality of the nominee's work in this discipline.
2. Longevity: How long has the individual or business served the Rockford metropolitan area? Which institutions have the individual served, and for how long (include teaching appointments, schools attended, boards, volunteer, and/or staff roles)?
3. Breadth of Work: Describe the projects or causes that the nominee has been involved in. How many individuals or businesses have been served through the nominee's work?
4. Impact: What impact has the nominee's work or service had on people, institutions, or causes in our community?
5. Good Citizenship: Describe how the nominee has exhibited good citizenship or positive civic participation.
Click here for a Nomination Form
Nomination forms are available for download at www.mayorsartsawards.com or may be picked up at the Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E State St.